Inky's Choice: The Diviners by Libba Bray
5 mystical, magical, creepy reasons to read Libba Bray's The Diviners series:
1. There's a lot going on: lots of characters you get to meet, alternating narratives, and fast-moving plot.
2. It is a creepy, crawly, shivery book.
3. Genre mash-up! It has elements of historical, gothic, action and adventure, thriller, mystery, romance and fantasy.
4. The murderer, Naughty John, has a nasty habit of singing while he chops you all up:
“Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells 'em off for a coupla stones.”
5. Libba Bray will be one of our International authors for our Reading Matters Student Day. She will be here. Talking. Hanging out. I think I might wear my bow tie for the occasion.
Not convinced? Libba has an extract of The Diviners up on her website to tantalise and entice. The website is the bees knees (as Mabel would say) and I would recommend checking it out. There are character studies, trailers, a tour of the locations in the book, radio episodes, and a playlist, just to name a few.