Inky's Choice: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
I'm always on the look out for books with likeminded (read: animals/pets) characters such as myself.
Meet Ivan. He's a gorilla.
He is awesome.
And so is his story.
5 Reasons to Read The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.
1. Animals (particularly dogs) are smarter than humans. This is a fact. I read it in the Study of the Homo sapiens society dissertation.
2. Ivan is a funny guy for a gorilla. Some of those gorilla types can be a little sour, but not Ivan. He's a hoot.
"I am a great ape, and you are a great ape, and so are chimpanzees and orangutans and bonobos, all of us distant and distrustful cousins. I know this is troubling. I too find it hard to believe there is a connection across time and space, linking me to a race of ill-mannered clowns. Chimps. There's no excuse for them.'
3. He has a best friend named Bob. Bob is part of the greatest species of animal to live amongst the land. Can you guess what he is? (hint: I'm also part of this superior race.)
4. It's inspired by a true story and I may or may not have had something in my eye when I read parts of this book.
5. Sometimes you need a book to remind the humans that animals feel too. This is that book.