A Tour of my Workspace
I thought I'd share a look at my desk! It's messy, but most of the mess is stuff I reach for on a regular basis.
Here's view number one:
Stuff you can see in this photo:
- My bulletin board. Full of reference, inspiration, art from fans.
- Below that, a cardboard box full of fan letters. I need to answer these.
- My laptop. This has my script on it, plus music, reference, email, and the inevitable Twitter.
- Empty teacup number one.
- Old photos. I'm working on a book about my sister and I when we were little, so, old family photos are helpful!
- Pens. Brushes. Lip balm.
- A bunch of old sketchbooks.
- The paper (Bristol board) for the pages I'm drawing.
- A necklace made of sculpey, of the happy face from the cover of Smile, made by my fans/friends!
- Under the desk: an old monitor somebody gave me, that I haven't found a good use for yet.
And view number two:
- The page I'm working on!
- My pencil, eraser, and blue layout pencil.
- More photos.
- Full teacup.
- Little IKEA desk lamp.
- iPod speaker doc.
- Empty teacup number two.
- Used tissue. I've had pretty bad allergies this season!
- Color wheel. I don't use this much anymore, but I like it.
- Cup of water for rinsing my brushes.
- Bin full of ink, thumbtacks, pencil sharpener, scissors, and miscellany.
- Space heater, down below. My studio is badly insulated, and FREEZING in winter!
- Outside the window: Queens, New York. My view is of a couple of parking spaces, a few trees, and the apartments across the way. There are a couple of stray cats that like to sit on top of my neighbors' cars, and I like watching them. The window faces west, so I get some pretty nice sunsets here.
I don't always work at my desk!
What about you? What things are essential to your workspace?